Wednesday 15 February 2017

Apia, Western Samoa

16 Feb - Apia, Western Samoa.
Samoa is in the centre of the South Pacific and is approximately the size of Dorset.  Since the missionaries arrived in 1830 religion has greatly influenced the lives of the Samoans. Every evening prayers are said in each village heralded by the blowing of a conch shell or banging on a cylinder. Since cleanliness is next to godliness the 'Women's Committee' does a weekly inspection of the houses and imposes a fine on those not up to standard!

The most famous hotel in the South Pacific, Aggie Grey's, is in Apia. This is now part of Sheraton. Robert Louis Stevenson also lived here from 1889 until his death five years later.

Even though it is really hot and humid we decided to walk into the town. It took us about half an hour and my face was so sweaty my sunglasses kept falling off my nose. (Not that ladies really sweat obviously!). I did wear a hat though. We reached the Cathedral first which is really pretty and then carried on into town. There just isn't a lot to see here so we stopped and had a Vailima beer before getting a taxi back to the ship.
Just one day at sea before we arrive in Tonga.

1 comment:

  1. Good history facts. Just as well nobody inspects my home I would be fined quite a bit. Women don't sweat they glow. I noticed you got taxi back xxx

    ReplyDelete